Friday

Raving Fans

I learned from graphic designer Wayne Kijanowski never to be satisfied with happy customers. When you're in a competitive market place, you need raving fans.

I sold a short research article several weeks ago and charged the client per page. I liked that idea because it allowed me to spend as much time on research as I needed without worrying about running up the client's bill.

But of course the article ended on page 1.75. To make two full pages would have fluffed the piece out, making it a rambling article, instead of the strong sales vehicle it needed to be. So how do I charge him?

I filled the pages out with tables and graphs to avoid white space, and could have legitimately charged for two pages then. Easily. I'm sure he wouldn't have even questioned being charged for the two full pages I handed him.

As the words of my former boss and college professor came back to me, I realized I had a great opportunity to earn a "raving fan" in this client.

"I'm only charging you for 1.5 pages," I wrote in an email that I sent with the bill. "I only charge for text, since you hired me to write."

I made about $40 less from the paper than if I'd charged him for two pages, but I was still happy to receive a sizable check for the short piece. I kindly thanked him for his business and invited him to contact me for future writing projects. I felt great leaving that project knowing I didn't round up, didn't overcharge, and did the best job I could.

If I ever missed that $40, I earned it right back when he hired me weeks later for another paper. He also included in his email that I was a great find, and he would be happy to work with me into the future. Raving fans are an invaluable asset to any writer.

No comments: